Friday, December 3, 2010

Anti-You

It's hard having the feeling that you don't belong.  It's even harder to think that it was actually illegal or the whole country actually hated you and wouldn't let you be you.  As a woman and a Jew I have a close relationship with the chapters Slowing the Momentum for Women's Rights and Father Coughlin: Fomenting Anti-Semitism via the Radio.

As a woman I have to work twice, if not even more, as hard as as man to get where I want to be in life.  Whether it be in the workforce or in school or even in a social network.  It is sad to say in the year 2010 that there is still discrimination based on gender.  But the truth is: there is, everywhere.

It is even sadder to say that in the year 2010 that there is Anti-Semitism everywhere I go.  It was minute and some what under the rug when I was younger, but as I got older and my peers began to get older and slyer it became worse and and way more harsh.  The worst experience was having pennies rolled at me in the hallways.  And it didn't stop in high school.  In one of my college classes one of the major holidays fell on a weekend and my professor assigned homework, that he informed us was important and was to be graded, and I explained I couldn't do because of the holiday.  He began to bash me asking me all these questions, in front of the class, about why I couldn't do the work. Landing on "Oh well you can't eat, oh you can't have sex?." He, as well as well as the rest of the class began to laugh.


It's a sad reality that I live with daily but I'm proud to deal with because I would never change being a woman or a Jew.  I believe being both has made me the person I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment